Enjoy this free activity from Habits of Mind Animations, designed with your 1st grade students in mind. Students will learn how to communicate with clarity and precision with this fun postcard craft! Click here for your free download of the activity.
- Postcard template
- Crayons or colored pencils
- Optional: Cardstock
- Make copies of the postcard template for each student. (Optional: You can print them on card stock to make them more like real postcards.)
- Gather the needed materials in an appropriate area.
Steps to Success:
- Pass out the postcard template to each student.
- Tell students that they can write a postcard to anyone they want, as long as they communicate with clarity and precision.
- Show students different aspects of a postcard (e.g., where to write the address, where the stamp goes, where to write the message, etc.).
- Instruct students to write a message that is clear and precise so that the person they are sending it to can understand.
- After the postcards are filled out, have students cut them out and draw a picture on the back.
- Optional: If students choose not to mail them to anyone, they can design their own stamp.
For more information on Habits of Mind Animations visit www.homanimations.com/ascd