Make distance learning a more practical and powerful go-to option for your professional development and teacher certification programs. PD Online® courses from ASCD enable teachers, school administrators, state departments of education, and college faculty to choose specific topics to meet a particular teacher, classroom, school, district, or university need.
The demands and challenges of the 21st century require innovations on the part of teachers, administrators, schools, and communities to fully prepare students for college, career, and beyond. PD Online courses make it easy and practical for educators to continue professional learning anytime and anywhere and many courses are accessible on most mobile devices. PD Online courses
- Introduce you to the most relevant topics facing educators today.
- Engage you in a blend of media-rich learning that features noted experts and practitioners.
- Include succinct learning modules that clearly connect practice with research.
- Incorporate reading materials from ASCD’s deep library of content.
- Allow you to revisit course content, including readings and videos, as often as you like.
- Provide you with a detailed syllabus and clear course objectives.
- Monitor progress at the Administrator and Learner levels using an integrated learning management system (LMS), which is also compatible with most institutional LMS products.
Sign up now for free 30-day access to “An Introduction to the Whole Child.” Educators who take on the ASCD Whole Child approach, which aims to ensure that each student is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged, set the standard for comprehensive, sustainable school improvement and provide students with the opportunity for long-term success.
In this course, you’ll learn how the ASCD Whole Child approach works in relation to a school’s climate and culture, building and teacher leadership, curriculum and instruction, assessment, classroom strategies, and more. You’ll also be able to compare your current professional practices with the whole child approach through assessments, articles from Educational Leadership, original readings, videos featuring noted education experts, and applications so that you can implement new ideas for sustainable classroom and school improvement.
After completing this course, you should be able to
- Understand the framework and indicators of a whole child approach.
- Compare current professional practices with the whole child approach.
- Interpret classroom behaviors as they relate to students’ positions on the critical developmental continuum.
- Build positive classroom relationships based on an understanding of students’ developmental needs.
- Reflect and improve upon current school culture and climate practices.
- Understand curricular modifications that will keep students challenged and engaged.
- Define, categorize, and give examples of formative and summative assessments.
- Analyze classroom situations and select the most appropriate form of assessment.
- Identify social and emotional learning techniques most appropriate for your grade level or subject area.
- Implement professional development and capacity-building efforts for faculty and staff to become more effective whole child educators.
We invite you to learn more about how PD Online courses—along with ASCD’s other professional learning solutions—can influence student achievement in your entire school or district. Check out our course catalog (PDF) of rigorous, self-paced courses on the most current hot topics in curriculum, instruction, assessment, and leadership, and get started today.