Students who struggle in class—whether with academics, behavior, or both—or who have special needs require swift and focused support from teachers, administrators, and the school as a whole.
From books to webinars to podcasts, ASCD has numerous resources for teachers to learn how to create inclusive learning experiences and help ensure that all students receive the best possible education. Explore all of these resources on ASCD’s website. There, you will find strategies that will help you identify the students who need extra support and techniques to ensure that all students are being put on the path to success.
Learn new ways to support struggling students and find tips for getting to the root of behavioral issues in these books:
- Causes & Cures in the Classroom: Getting to the Root of Academic and Behavior Problems
- Hanging In: Strategies for Teaching the Students Who Challenge Us Most
- Learning in the Fast Lane: 8 Ways to Put ALL Students on the Road to Academic Success
- How to Support Struggling Students
- A Principal’s Guide to Special Education
ASCD’s webinars and podcasts provide insight from experts who have years of experience in the classroom developing strategies and approaches that work. Check out these relevant webinars and podcasts:
- “Hanging In: Working with Challenging Students“—webinar with Jeffrey Benson
- “How to Support Struggling Students“—webinar with Robyn Jackson
- Inclusive Learning: Meeting Each Student’s Special Needs—podcast with Timothy Shriver, Evan Heller, and Latoya Dean (August 2011)
- Respecting and Reflecting School Culture—podcast with members of the Special Olympics National Youth Activation Committee (October 2012)
- Leading and Changing School Culture—podcast with members of the Special Olympics National Youth Activation Committee and a special education teacher from Wyoming (October 2012)
PD Online® Courses provide the extra professional development experience that many educators seek to take their own strategies to the next level. Choose from courses such as these:
- Inclusion: The Basics, 2nd Edition
- Inclusion: Implementing Strategies, 2nd Edition
- Paraeducators in Your Classroom
- Response to Intervention: An Introduction
Finally, the PD In Focus® platform offers a rich library of on-demand video content for educators’ collaborative professional development. Content related to inclusive learning experiences can be found on these channels:
- Conducting an Effective IEP Meeting Aligned with the Common Core: Watch as a school team—composed of a principal, special education teacher, language arts teacher, and math teacher—meets with the parent of a special needs student and engages in an annual review that uses the Common Core State Standards to help inform his goals.
- Implementing RTI in Secondary Schools: See what schools do to help struggling students close the achievement gap by following a high school freshman through an RTI approach that features research-based strategies that emphasize universal screening, diagnostic assessment, and a three-tiered instructional intervention.