Yesterday ASCD released its 2013 legislative agenda [PDF]. Developed by the association’s legislative committee, a diverse cross-section of ASCD members representing the entire spectrum of K–12 education, the 2013 ASCD Legislative Agenda outlines the association’s federal public policy priorities for the year.
ASCD’s top priority in 2013 is a comprehensive rewrite of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) that provides the necessary stability and long-term vision for our education system that helps ensure each student is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged.
Within a reauthorized version of ESEA, we seek provisions
- Creating meaningful accountability systems for students and educators,
- Encouraging comprehensive school improvement strategies, and
- Promoting adequate and effective preparation and ongoing professional development for educators to improve student outcomes.
The 2013 ASCD Legislative Agenda also details some of the key elements that must be included in any federal policies to help ensure success for students, educators, and education systems, so I encourage you to download a copy today [PDF].
But don’t just read the legislative agenda; get involved. One simple way to help shape the future of education policy is by joining ASCD’s Educator Advocates. We also encourage you to share the above image, which outlines our major priorities, on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or anywhere else you would like to share it.
In addition to working with policymakers nationwide to make the best decisions for our students, Educator Advocates receive
- Capitol Connection, a weekly e-newsletter that provides the inside scoop about federal education developments from Congress, the U.S. Department of Education, and the White House; key education issues, including teacher effectiveness and Common Core standards; and the latest national reports and research.
- Just-in-time e-mail alerts on issues where educator input can make a decisive difference.
- Access to the ASCD Action Center, a one-stop shop for learning about legislation, contacting representatives, and more.
In a recent post, I laid out my take on where the Obama administration’s priorities lay for the next four years, and now you know ASCD’s direction for 2013. We look forward to you joining us on our mission.