Last week, Education Week reported on the frustration teachers are facing as they begin designing lessons around Common Core priorities—teacher resources are either scarce, or hard to find. This week, ASCD convened Colorado educators to discuss Common Core implementation, and classroom teachers in Colorado echoed similar concerns over accessible teaching resources.
ASCD continues to mine and create free resources to help teachers integrate the Common Core State Standards in their classrooms. Here’s a collection of sites and supporting materials:
From the States
- Colorado Department of Education standards implementation toolkit
- Kansas Department of Education math and literacy standards resources
- New York’s EngageNY includes exemplar lessons and videos that discuss instructional shifts
- North Carolina’s Common Core instructional support tools
- Ohio’s model curriculum
- Utah’s Core Teacher Resources
Upcoming, free ASCD Webinars
- Register for “Creating Communities of Support for Implementing the Common Core State Standards“
- Register for “Common Core: Assessment Shifts”
Lessons and Videos
- Common Core math exemplars from Inside Mathematics
- Educator-uploaded videos of Common Core–aligned lessons at the Teaching Channel
- New York Times’s Learning Network blog tags lessons that align with the Common Core
- PTA’s parent guides to understanding the Common Core
- Student Achievement Partners’ tools for understanding curricular shifts in math and English language arts, exemplar lessons, and how to do a close reading and ask text-dependent questions.
- YouTube for Teachers sorts videos into playlists organized by subject, topic, and grade level. Click on a playlist topic and you will also see the standards associated.
Text complexity (PDF) measurement tools
- ATOS analyzer: Renaissance Learning
- Coh-Metrix Easability Tool, University of Memphis
- DRP: Questar, contact Quester with requests for text analysis
- Lexiles: Metrametrics
- Pearson Reading Maturity: Pearson Knowledge Technologies
- REAP: Carnegie Mellon University
- Source Rater Educators Testing Service
Check out ASCD’s regularly-updated Common Core resources site, connect with other teachers as they problem solve around Common Core implementation, and click through the March issue of Educational Leadership—a practical guide to Common Core approaches to teaching reading.
What resources do you recommend to support teachers in Common Core lesson planning?