We have a theory here at ASCD that all educators are leaders—from the preservice teachers still learning about the best strategies for classroom management to the superintendents with 25 years of experience. We believe that learning never stops. Even the best leaders still have lessons to learn. And with that theme of leading and learning in mind, we’re hosting our 2012 Fall Conference in Atlanta, Ga., on October 26–28, 2012.
For our readers attending this event, we’ve put together a handy guide of can’t miss sessions and other information below:
- Welcoming You to Fall Conference–Start connecting with other educators at the Welcome Reception on Thursday, October 25, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the 2nd floor foyer of the Hilton Atlanta. Make sure you pick up your conference tote bag and program book while you’re there, and don’t forget to wear your name badge to make the networking easier!
- Reading the Paper over Coffee–While you’re with us in Atlanta, Conference Daily will be your number one news source. Head to the Galleria South, lower level of the Hilton for a continental breakfast from 7 to 8:15 a.m. with other attendees and make sure to check out Conference Daily online each morning.
- Checking in–Don’t pass go until you’ve checked into Fall Conference. ASCD Xpress Check-in can make the entire process fast and simple. ASCD Xpress Check-in opens at 7 a.m. on Thursday, October 25. Simply go to the 1st floor of the Hilton Atlanta to pick up your name badge. If you need help with on-site registration or have other questions, go to the 2nd floor ballroom foyer in the Hilton.
- Downloading all the Materials You Need–Be prepared before you arrive at Fall Conference sessions by downloading your presentation materials. To access the downloads, click here and log in with your ASCD username and password. Then download the presentation materials to your laptop or print them out to bring with you. You can pick up your copy of the program book on site or browse the digital preview (PDF).
- Attending General Sessions–Picture a room full of educators eager to learn. Where are you? You are in ASCD’s conference general sessions! The first general session, “Proficiency for All Children,” is an overview of the efficacy package for systemic education reform with Jeff Howard, founder and president of The Efficacy Institute. The other two general sessions include a panel discussion on “Leadership and the Common Core” moderated by Ann Cunningham-Morris with Doug Fisher, Sherida Britt, Judy Carr, and Jay McTighe, as well as the closing general session presented by Wavelength, a group of professional actors who use improve to motivate and inspire education professionals.
- Attending “Can’t-be-missed” Sessions–Where do you start with more than 80 sessions to choose from? Here’s our pick of 5 sessions not to miss:
- The Principal as Formative Coach (Friday, October 26th, 10 a.m. –12 p.m. and 1:30–3:30 p.m.)
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards: Lessons from the Field (Saturday, October 27th, 10 a.m.–12 p.m. and 1:30–3:30 p.m.)
- Developing and Sustaining Teacher Leadership: a Distributive Approach (Friday, October 26th, 10 a.m. –12 p.m.)
- Coaching Teachers in Real Time and Electronically (Saturday, October 27th, 10 a.m. –12 p.m. and 1:30–3:30 p.m.)
- What to Do When Students Bully: A Systemic Approach (Sunday, October 28th, 10 a.m. –12 p.m.)
- Tweeting with #ASCDFC12–Want to hear what people are saying about Fall Conference? Join in the conversation on Twitter with the official hashtag of the Fall Conference, #ASCDFC12. Please note that ASCD’s Twitter team will not be on-site in Atlanta, so for any urgent on-site needs, please go to the 2nd floor ballroom foyer of the Hilton.
If this guide piques your interest and you have still not registered to join us in Atlanta at the end of this month, there is still time! You can still register online or on-site at the Hilton Atlanta 2nd floor ballroom foyer through the last day of the conference, October 28th.
We’ll see you in Atlanta!