Ready, Senate, Tweet!
The U.S. Senate is knee-deep in debating its No Child Left Behind (NCLB) replacement bill—S.1177, or the Every Child Achieves Act (ECAA). This represents the first time in 14 years that our nation’s main education law has been discussed on the Senate floor, and this time, educators must be a part of this crucial conversation. As educators know, a revamping of our federal education policies to better support schools and students is long overdue.
When the Senate passed NCLB, there was no Facebook or Twitter. Now, social media provides an easy outlet for educators to communicate with lawmakers and their staffs. To facilitate conversation at this important time, we are providing you with some sample tweets.
Visit ASCD’s action page to learn the names of your senators and find their Twitter handles using this list. Then, use any tweet below to contact your lawmakers. For example, “Hello @[insert twitter handle here]. I’m an educator and I want you to protect federal funding for educator PD. End 100% Title II transferability.”
We have organized the sample tweets below by issue. Feel free to use the accompanying images to support your statements.
Resource Equity Gaps and Multiple Measures
- Hi @___. States should track multiple indicators, beyond test scores, & address equity gaps. Support Kirk Dashboard Amd.
- Hi @___. States should work with districts to identify & close resource equity gaps. Support Kirk Dashboard Amd.
- Hi @___. Let’s look beyond test scores & educate the #WholeChild. Support Kirk Dashboard Amd.
- Hi @___. All students deserve access to advanced courses & the arts. Support Kirk Dashboard Amd.
- Hi @___. Family engagement is crucial to student success—strengthen family engagement programs.
- Hi @___. Family engagement is crucial to student success. Support Reed Family Engagement Amd.
- Hi @___. Strengthen family engagement policies & programs at local, state, & fed levels. Support Reed Fam Engagement Amd.
- Hi @___. I support the Reed, Bennet Family Engagement Amendment & I hope you do, too.
Full-Service Community Schools
- Hi @___. All students deserve to be HEALTHY and SUPPORTED. Expand full-service community schools.
- Hi @___. Help ensure that students have physical, social, & emotional well-being. Support Brown Full-Service Schls Amd.
- Hi @___. Remember, full-service community schools can be particularly effective in rural areas. Support them.
- Hi @___. Full-service community schools help students engage & learn. Support Brown Full-Service Schls Amd.
Educator Professional Development
- Hi @___. I’m an educator & I want you to protect federal funding for educator PD. End 100% Title II transferability.
- Hi @___. #Teachers= #1 in-school factor affecting student achievement. End 100% Title II transferability.
- Hi @___. #Teachers need opportunities to improve to better educate students. End 100% Title II transferability.
- Hi @___. I am a teacher & I oppose 100% Title II transferability. I hope you do, too.
Feel free to adjust or personalize your tweets. Remember that you can add hashtags to further your reach in the online conversation. Suggested hashtags include #ESEA, #ECAA, and #FixNCLB.
For the status of these amendments and other NCLB replacement updates, follow ASCD on Twitter @ASCD.